Can You Take Magnesium With Effexor (Venlafaxine)?
In our latest question and answer, our pharmacist discusses whether or not magnesium can safely be taken with Effexor (venlafaxine).
Can you take taurine or magnesium taurate with venlafaxine?
Answered by Dr. Brian Staiger, PharmD
Medical Content Reviewed By HelloPharmacist Staff
Last updated Jun 03, 2023
- There is no known interaction between Effexor (venlafaxine), taurine, and magnesium.
Great question! Magnesium is an essential mineral that plays a crucial role in many bodily functions and is a very popular over-the-counter dietary supplement. While there is no known interaction between magnesium supplements and Effexor (venlafaxine), magnesium is known to interact with other medications.
The main reason why magnesium should be used with caution with certain medications is that it can interfere with their absorption and metabolism. Magnesium can bind to certain compounds, such as many different antibiotics, which reduces their absorption and effectiveness.
Examples of drugs that should be taken with caution when using magnesium supplements include:
- Antibiotics: Magnesium can interfere with the absorption of antibiotics, including tetracyclines, quinolones, and aminoglycosides. This can reduce their effectiveness and increase the risk of bacterial resistance.
- Bisphosphonates: Bisphosphonates are a class of drugs used to treat osteoporosis and other bone disorders. Drugs in this class include Fosamax and Boniva. These drugs should generally be taken on an empty stomach and not combined with magnesium.
- Levothyroxine: Magnesium-containing supplements can reduce levothyroxine absorption, making it less effective.
As mentioned, fortunately, magnesium is not known to interact with Effexor and is not known to affect its absorption. In fact, Effexor can safely be taken with or without food (even if that food contains magnesium), and most other dietary supplements (although be sure to check with your doctor before adding supplements to your medication regimen).
Lastly, you mentioned 'taurine' in your question. I'm not sure if you are just referring to magnesium taurate, a particular form of magnesium, or the amino acid taurine. Regardless, both are safe with Effexor (venlafaxine).
It's important to note that some online drug interaction checkers will report an interaction between Effexor and magnesium citrate.
Magnesium citrate is a bowel preparation, and not intended as a product used to supplement your magnesium intake. My answer is referring to magnesium dietary supplements.
Thanks so much for your question and be sure to reach back out anytime!
- Effexor Prescribing Information, AccessFDA
- Dr. Brian Staiger, PharmD
- 201 views
Was this article helpful?
Visit Our Drug-Herbal Interaction Checker
Drug-Herbal Interaction CheckerCheck your medications for potential interactions with herbal supplements
Popular Interaction Pages
Can You Take Amoxicillin With Mucinex Or Sudafed?
Is it safe to take amoxicillin-clavulanate 875/125...Jun 01, 2023
Does Berberine Interact With Prozac?
Does Berberine interact with Prozac?May 23, 2023