Does Robitussin DM Contain Alcohol?
In our latest question and answer, our pharmacist discusses whether or not Robitussin DM contains alcohol.
Does Robitussin DM extra strength contain alcohol? I get really sick from alcohol.
Answered by Dr. Brian Staiger, PharmD
Medical Content Reviewed By HelloPharmacist Staff
Last updated Jan 31, 2023
- Robitussin DM does contain chemical compounds classified as 'alcohols', like propylene glycol, but it does not contain ethanol, the type of alcohol found in alcoholic beverages.
Thanks for reaching out! It's always a good idea to ask questions like this as oftentimes, whether or not a particular over-the-counter product contains alcohol isn't always clearly stated.
There is no alcohol (i.e., ethanol) contained in Robitussin DM.
It does contain some compounds that are classified as 'alcohols', such as propylene glycol, but I imagine you are referring to ethanol, the type of alcohol in alcoholic beverages.
Below is the label for the product, with the ingredients highlighted:
It is important to note that Children's Robitussin DM also does not contain alcohol.
Why Do Some Cough Syrups Contain Alcohol?
Even though Robitussin DM doesn't contain alcohol, you may be wondering why some cough syrups do contain it. Well, there are several reasons, including:
- Alcohol can act as a preservative, helping to prevent the growth of bacteria
- Alcohol can help solubilize (i.e., dissolve) other ingredients in a given product
- Alcohol can mask the bitter tastes of some ingredients
- Alcohol can have a mild sedative effect when used in nighttime cough syrup formulations
Always be sure to look at the labeling of the product you are looking to purchase, specifically, the 'inactive ingredients', to see if it contains alcohol.
As mentioned above, I imagine when you ask if Robitussin DM contains alcohol, you are referring to ethanol.
Other alcohols, like menthol and propylene glycol, are chemically classified as alcohols, but are not intoxicating and do not have a significant effect on the central nervous system like ethanol does.
Thanks for reaching out! Contact us again anytime.
- Robitussin Manufacturer Website, Robitussin
- Alcohol-containing pharmaceuticals, PubMed
- Ethanol Monograph, PubChem
- Dr. Brian Staiger, PharmD
- 61 views
Was this article helpful?
Visit Our Drug-Herbal Interaction Checker
Drug-Herbal Interaction CheckerCheck your medications for potential interactions with herbal supplements
Popular Interaction Pages
Can You Crush Or Split Lisinopril Tablets?
Hi, I have been prescribed lisinopril and even tho...Mar 28, 2023
Why Do You Inject Two Doses Of Emgality The First Month?
I am just wondering something. Why do you need two...Mar 29, 2023