Does Adderall Come In A Liquid Dosage Form?
In our latest question and answer, the pharmacist discusses the available dosage forms for Adderall and related stimulant medications.
I am wondering if you can get Adderall in a liquid form. I have trouble with tablets and capsules.
Last updated Dec 08, 2023
- Adderall does not come in a liquid dosage form that is commercially available, however, it can be compounded by a compounding pharmacy. Insurance coverage for compounded Adderall suspension will vary.
- There are several other, similar, options to Adderall available as a liquid including Dyanavel XR (amphetamine) suspension and dextroamphetamine solution. Both of these products contain a component of what is contained in Adderall.
- There are several methylphenidate (generic Ritalin) drugs available in a liquid as well, including Quillivant XR (methylphenidate extended-release) suspension.
Hello and thank you for your question!
First and foremost, I want to point out that Adderall is a combination of four different types of amphetamines (Dextroamphetamine Saccharate, Amphetamine Aspartate, Dextroamphetamine Sulfate and Amphetamine Sulfate Tablets), and this specific combination is not available in a liquid dosage form.
However, there are liquid dosage forms of other amphetamines and related stimulant drugs (such as methylphenidate, the drug in the brand name Ritalin).
So, to specifically answer your question, Adderall does not come as a liquid, but there are plenty of similar drugs in a liquid dosage form.
I do want to note that some compounding pharmacies can make a compounded liquid Adderall, and I discuss that more in the sections below.
Stimulants Available As A Liquid
As mentioned, Adderall is a combination of several different amphetamines, and there is no liquid version of that.
There are similar liquid options, which include:
- Dyanavel XR (amphetamine) suspension
- Dextroamphetamine solution
- Methylphenidate solution
- ProCentra (methylphenidate solution)
- Quillivant XR (methylphenidate extended-release) suspension
The closest two products to Adderall are the dextroamphetamine solution and Dyanavel XR.
Dyanavel XR is a liquid product that just contains amphetamine. It comes in a concentration of amphetamine 2.5mg/mL and is an extended-release product.
Liquid dextroamphetamine product, which is immediate-release, comes in a concentration of 5mg/5mL.
These two products, while they aren't exactly the same as Adderall, at least contain some of its components.
Additionally, methylphenidate, which is a stimulant similar to what is contained in Adderall, is also available in several different liquid forms. It is the ingredient in the brand-name drug Ritalin.
There are two 'immediate-release' products, available in a 5mg/5mL solution, and a 10mg/5mL solution.
There is also a fairly new brand name-only drug on the market known as Quillivant XR, which is an extended-release methylphenidate suspension.
In addition to the liquid dosage forms I've mentioned above, there are many other drugs you can consider if you are looking to avoid tablets or capsules.
These options include:
- QuilliChew ER: Extended-release methylphenidate chew tablet
- Vyvanse Chew: Extended-release lisdexamfetamine chew tablet
- Evekeo ODT: Orally disintegrating amphetamine sulfate tablet
- Cotempla-XR: Orally disintegrating methylphenidate tablet
- Daytrana: Extended-release methylphenidate patch
Finally, another alternative is to find a compounding pharmacy to make a compounded liquid Adderall. One study found that one form of a compounded liquid Adderall suspension, in a strength of 1mg/mL, was stable for 30 days.
It is important to note however, that insurance coverage for compounded medications can vary greatly depending on the insurance plan you have, so be sure to talk to your pharmacist about your options if you can't use one of the other alternatives I mentioned.
Thanks again for reaching out and I hope this answer helped!
- Dr. Brian Staiger, PharmD
- 3481 views
Was this article helpful?
Visit Our Drug-Herbal Interaction Checker
Popular Interaction Pages
Is penicillin safe to take with high blood pressur...Sep 01, 2023
Can you take a small dose of aspirin with Hawthorn...Aug 28, 2023