Can You Take DayQuil With Tamiflu?
In our latest question and answer, the pharmacist discusses whether or not DayQuil can safely be taken with Tamiflu (oseltamivir phosphate).
I am currently on Tamiflu after testing positive for the flu. While I feel a little better, I need something else for the symptoms. Can I take DayQuil safely?
Last updated Oct 28, 2022
- There is no known drug interaction between Tamiflu and DayQuil. They are considered safe to take together.
There is no reported interaction between DayQuil and Tamiflu and they can be safely taken together. DayQuil is a combination ingredient cough/cold product that contains the following ingredients:
- Acetaminophen (analgesic/fever reducer)
- Dextromethorphan (cough suppressant)
- Phenylephrine (nasal decongestant)
Taking DayQuil With Tamiflu
Each ingredient contained in DayQuil is considered to be safe to take with Tamiflu due to the absence of drug interactions. In fact, per the prescribing information for Tamiflu, most drugs are safe to take with it as the medication has very few drug interactions.
One of the only reported interactions is with probenecid. Even with that interaction, no dosage adjustments are recommended for Tamiflu and it is considered to have a wide window of safety.
As Tamiflu is used to treat infection from the flu virus, it is common to need over-the-counter medication for the relief of flu-related symptoms such as headache, fever, and muscle aches. DayQuil is a good option for symptom relief and fortunately, Tamiflu is safe to take with it.
If you are looking for additional information on the drugs mentioned in this question, you can visit our drug detail pages, or contact one of our pharmacists directly!
Thanks for reaching out to us! Please do so again anytime.
- Tamiflu Prescribing Information, Genentech
- Acetaminophen Monograph, https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Acetaminophen
- Dextromethorphan Monograph, https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/dextromethorphan
- Phenylephrine Monograph, https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Phenylephrine
- Dr. Brian Staiger, PharmD
- 2764 views