Holy Basil - Adderall (Amphetamine Aspartate, Amphetamine Sulfate, Dextroamphetamine Saccharate, Dextroamphetamine Sulfate) Interaction
Herbal: Holy Basil
Also Known As: Ocimum tenuiflorum, Ocimum sanctum
Drug: Amphetamine Aspartate, Amphetamine Sulfate, Dextroamphetamine Saccharate, Dextroamphetamine Sulfate
Brand names: Adderall, Adderall XR
Medical Content Editor Dr. Brian Staiger, PharmD
Last updated Apr 16, 2023
There were no interactions found between Amphetamine Aspartate, Amphetamine Sulfate, Dextroamphetamine Saccharate, Dextroamphetamine Sulfate and Holy Basil. This does not mean the potential for an interaction does not exist, however. There is often a lack of studies and data surrounding traditional medicine, especially concerning drug interactions, so it is important to always consult your provider before making any changes to your medication regimen.
While holy basil is generally considered a safe supplement with many different medications, and there is no known interaction in this case, it is important to be aware of some of its potential interactions.
Blood Thinning Drugs
- Holy Basil may have mild blood-thinning properties.
- Combining Holy Basil with medications like Warfarin, aspirin, or other anticoagulants/antiplatelet drugs could increase the risk of bleeding.
Blood Pressure Medications
- Holy Basil may have mild hypotensive (blood pressure-lowering) effects.
- Combining Holy Basil with medications used to treat high blood pressure, such as ACE inhibitors or beta-blockers, could potentially enhance the blood pressure-lowering effects.
- Holy Basil may have a hypoglycemic (blood sugar-lowering) effect.
- Combining Holy Basil with diabetes medications like insulin or oral hypoglycemic drugs could potentially enhance the blood sugar-lowering effects.
- Holy Basil has calming properties and may enhance the effects of sedatives or anxiety medications.
- Combining Holy Basil with medications like benzodiazepines or sleep aids could potentially increase drowsiness or sedation.
Always talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist before starting any new herbal supplement, including Holy Basil. They can provide personalized advice based on your specific medical history, medications, and overall health condition to ensure your safety and well-being.- Dr. Brian Staiger, PharmD
Holy Basil Overview
Holy Basil - More Interactions
Holy Basil interacts with 205 drugs
Interaction Rating Key
These severity listings are for informational use only. Never start, stop or otherwise change your therapy before speaking with your provider.
|Major||The combined use of these agents is strongly discouraged as serious side effects or other negative outcomes could occur.|
|Moderate||Use cautiously under the care of a healthcare professional or avoid this combination. A significant interaction or negative outcome could occur.|
|Minor||Be aware that there is a chance of an interaction. Watch for warning signs of a potential interaction.|
|Unknown||No interactions have been reported or no interaction data is currently available.|
Visit Our Drug-Herbal Interaction Checker
Drug-Herbal Interaction CheckerCheck your medications for potential interactions with herbal supplements
Popular Interaction Pages
Return to the main herbal interaction checker page
Parts of this content are provided by the Therapeutic Research Center, LLC.
DISCLAIMER: Currently this does not check for drug-drug interactions. This is not an all-inclusive comprehensive list of potential interactions and is for informational purposes only. Not all interactions are known or well-reported in the scientific literature, and new interactions are continually being reported. Input is needed from a qualified healthcare provider including a pharmacist before starting any therapy. Application of clinical judgment is necessary.
© 2021 Therapeutic Research Center, LLC
Drug descriptions are provided by MedlinePlus.